The SOURCE photobook edition has been out for a wee while now and the full online archive of ‘great’ photobook selections is available to all for free so a little late sharing this but do check it out. For one, it is a valuable insight into the photobook and the way in which we think about it. Two, it shows who the ‘characters’ of the photobook are. Three, the Photobook Club is in there (and shown below)[and din’t quite follow the ‘greatest’ request]…
While there is definite merit in list forming as a means of introduction and suggestions, it is something I am a little uncomfortable with. The Photobook Club was set up in part as a pragmatic response to canonisation without qualification and seeks to enable open and non-hierarchical discussion. So with this in mind I have asked a number of Photobook Club organisers from around the world to suggest the photobook(s) that their community has had the liveliest discussion around. These choices come from Photobook Clubs in Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Coventry, Madrid, Monterrey, Montevideo and Tokyo.
- Julián Barón, Dossier Humint, 2013.
- Martin Bollati, La forma Bruta, 2016.
- Will Steacy, Deadline, 2016.
- Musuk Nolte, La Primera Piedra, 2013.
- Xavier Miserachs and Horacio Fernández, Miserachs Barcelona, 2016.
- Txema Salvans, The Waiting Game, 2014.
- Nozomi Iijima, Scoffing Pig, 2013.
- Rodrigo Ramos, Ex Corde, 2015.
- Paul Gaffney, We Make the Path by Walking, 2013.
- Vasantha Yogananthan, Early Times, 2016.