About The Photobook ClubThe Photobook Club aims to promote and enable discussion surrounding the photo book format. In particular looking at old, rare and influential photography books from the 20th century onwards.
The Photobook Club is run by Matt Johnston.
- Follow the Photobook Club's 'Box of Books as it travels over 30,000 miles, stopping off at each of the Photobook Club branches around the world... Click above for the Facebook page or here for more information.
The Photobook Club Presents…
- Robert Frank, The Americans
- Richard Avedon, Observations
- Eugene Richards, Cocaine True, Cocaine Blue
- Larry Sultan, The Valley
- Anders Peterson, Cafe Lehmitz
- Ken Schles, Invisible City
- Nan Goldin, The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
- Nobuyoshi Araki, Sentimental Journey, Winter Journey
- Stephen Shore, Uncommon Places
- Sally Mann, Immediate Family
- Paul Graham, A1: The Great North Road
Failed to update from Twitter!
- Jonathan_Worth: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- mjohnstonmedia: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- ImogenWall1: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- View All
Tag Archives: photobookclub
Excuse my lifting text directly from the event itself but it perfectly sums up what this event, and Mahesh and Vidya’s open house project in it’s wider context, seeks to do. For about a year now, photographer Mahesh Shantaram and … Continue reading
Great news for those of you in Bristol, UK as there will be a new set of meetups and workshops built around the photobook starting shortly. Building on the idea of the Photobook Club this new venture called ‘PBLabs’ not … Continue reading
I had a great chat with Susana Paiva of the ‘Portfolio Project‘ recently and am happy to announce that, along with photographers Mário Pires and Magda Fernandes she has set up the ‘Photo Book Club Lisbon‘ which will have it’s … Continue reading
I was interviewed recently by Sara Potter of ‘The Art Book Group‘ who have published a book on art books. It will be available shortly and I shall post a link to it, but in the meantime here is my … Continue reading
Perhaps this is a little geeky, but I hear that geek is the new black so I shall proceed… I was keen to look at the locations of the original images in the 1982 publication as I had been noticing … Continue reading
Thanks to Makus Furgber for writing this piece on last weekends meet-up in Spain, looks like it was a fantastic event. The third Photobookclub meeting in Barcelona was a huge success! The introduction on Richard Billingham’s “Ray’s a Laugh” made … Continue reading
Title Cafe Lehmitz Author Anders Petersen Publisher Schirmer Mosel, 1978 From the publisher: Cafe Lehmitz, a beer joint at the Reeperbahn, was a meeting point for many who worked in Hamburg’s red-light district: prostitutes, pimps, transvestites, workers, and petty criminals. … Continue reading
In July we will be looking at Anders Petersen’s ‘Cafe Lehmitz’ and so as a little teaser here is Anders talking about his work with the Photographers Gallery on ‘Soho Projects’. Anders Petersen has been working in London’s Soho for … Continue reading