Following on from the huge success of last year’s ‘Le Photobook Fest’ and the inaugural ‘Rock Your Dummy’ contest, the competition is running again this year so get the low down below from the organisers of lephotobookfest.
Rock Your Dummy! is an open call for dummies to support and showcase the work of photobook makers from all over the world.
The Rock Your Dummy! award aims to help a photographer to realise and publish its photobook dummy. Maria Books, the latest publishing project of Le PhotobookFest, will work hand to hand with the photographer to launch the book with a special event in Arles 2015.
The exhibition will be presented during all the festival and hosted at L’Ancienne Imprimerie/Picture Tank, 19 rue Bisson 75020 Paris.
“The dummy is a work in progress but also a significant waymark on the route to publication in one form or another. It seemed appropriate that while we look to celebrate the beauty of the dummy as an artefact in it’s own right, we should also acknowledge it as a work yet to be fully realised and so seek to support it’s author in that realisation.” -
Matt Johnson, Founder of The Photobook Club
• Rock Your Dummy Award : All selected photobook dummies in the exhibition will run for the “Rock Your Dummy Award”. One winner will be selected by the main jury (to be announced soon) at Le PhotobookFest awards presentation on Sunday 16 november. The winner of the “Rock Your Dummy Award” gets the opportunity to publish a book with Maria Books (more details soon).
• Box of Dummies Award :
As a result of the public vote, a dummy will be selected to be included in the “Box of Dummies“, a traveling showcase through the branches of the Photobook Club network all over the world -
More infos about the Box Of Books project http://boxofbooks.
“Winning Rock your dummy! contest in 2013 was a great and exciting experience. My book Did we ever meet? got a lot of exposure and has been since exhibited in Europe and Russia. I got a chance to talk about the dummy with experts from the book business. I’ve reedited it to be able to self-publish it independently and do the whole process from printing to binding at home. Thank you so much guys, and good luck to all the contestants this year!!”
Lena Kholkina, Winner of the Rock Your Dummy Award www.offonroad.com.“I took part in the first edition of Le Photobookfest with my dummy “Dispersal”, I got an honorable mention, and I must confess it took me by surprise. I regret I wasn’t even there when they announced it, cause the atmosphere was at the same time cool, relaxed, and perfect to share books and ideas. A little gem in Paris Photo frenzy. Suddenly, my “book” (which looks more like a box) got noticed, it drew attention, and I could hear feedbacks and comments. I am sure it is also because of Le Photobookfest that it is now almost sold out, and I wish to be part again of this cool new baby among festivals!”
Arianna Sanesi, Honorable Mention,http://www.
We are particularly keen to receive, showcase and support mock-up and hand-crafted dummies !
– Your dummy must be the maquette of an unpublished book.
– No electronic version accepted.
– Open to all ! No age or nationality limits.
– The shipping fees (go and return) are at your cost.
– Send your complete name & address, email + name of the book + year of making
– You agree that your dummy will be manipulated by hundreds of people and might be a bit damaged (the price to pay for success ).
Deadline for submission is October 30th 2014
Send your dummy to :
Emilie Hallard / Picturetank
19 rue Bisson
75020 Paris – France
Please email us for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Web : lephotobookfest.com
Find us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/