About The Photobook ClubThe Photobook Club aims to promote and enable discussion surrounding the photo book format. In particular looking at old, rare and influential photography books from the 20th century onwards.
The Photobook Club is run by Matt Johnston.
- Follow the Photobook Club's 'Box of Books as it travels over 30,000 miles, stopping off at each of the Photobook Club branches around the world... Click above for the Facebook page or here for more information.
The Photobook Club Presents…
- Robert Frank, The Americans
- Richard Avedon, Observations
- Eugene Richards, Cocaine True, Cocaine Blue
- Larry Sultan, The Valley
- Anders Peterson, Cafe Lehmitz
- Ken Schles, Invisible City
- Nan Goldin, The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
- Nobuyoshi Araki, Sentimental Journey, Winter Journey
- Stephen Shore, Uncommon Places
- Sally Mann, Immediate Family
- Paul Graham, A1: The Great North Road
Failed to update from Twitter!
- Jonathan_Worth: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- mjohnstonmedia: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- ImogenWall1: RT @KateGreen28: Really missed out on an amazing #photobc today @mjohnstonmedia at Pronillo Enclave. Saw the first draft of a local's photo(box)! Amazing! »
- View All
Category Archives: SYNOPSIS
Title 26 Different Endings Author Mark Power Publisher Photoworks, 2007 From the publisher: In this new Photoworks publication, British photographer Mark Power returns to the dialogue between real and imaginary space that characterised his most successful book to date, “The … Continue reading
Title A1: The Great North Road Author Paul Graham Publisher Bristol: Grey Editions, 1983 From the publisher: Photographer Paul Graham spent two years completing this documentary on the life and landscape of the Great North Road. Throughout 1981 and 1982 … Continue reading
We are looking at Sally Mann’s ‘Immediate Family’ through March on the Photo Book Club. Luckily this book is really easy to get hold of in libraries, photobooks or from the latest publisher of a paperback version, Aperture at a … Continue reading
Before writing this synopsis and heading into the month long look at Shore’s book, I should point out that there are two books called ‘Uncommon Places’ by Shore, although to give the second it’s full title ‘Uncommon Places, The Complete … Continue reading
Title Sentimental Journey, Winter Journey Author Nobuyoshi Araki Publisher Shinchosha Publishing, 1991 A relatively unknown photographer in the late 1960s, Nobuyoshi Araki began documenting his young wife through an intimate series titled My Wife Yoko (1967-1976), a body of work … Continue reading
Title The Ballad Of Sexual Dependency Author Nan Goldin Publisher Aperture, 1986 From the publisher: The Ballad of Sexual Dependency is a visual diary chronicling the struggle for intimacy and understanding between friends and lovers collectively described by Nan Goldin … Continue reading
Title Invisible City Author Ken Schles Publisher Twelvetree Press, 1988 For a decade Ken Schles watched the passing of time from his Lower East Side Manhattan neighborhood. His camera has fixed the instances of his observations, and these moments become … Continue reading
Title Cafe Lehmitz Author Anders Petersen Publisher Schirmer Mosel, 1978 From the publisher: Cafe Lehmitz, a beer joint at the Reeperbahn, was a meeting point for many who worked in Hamburg’s red-light district: prostitutes, pimps, transvestites, workers, and petty criminals. … Continue reading